The MA in Development Studies is offered at the Institute of Social Development (ISD)at UWC. The course is designed for those planning a career in the field of economic and social development as policy-makers, activists, administrators, developers, researchers or teachers at universities. Annually about 50 students from 15-20 different countries register either for the Honours or Masters programme in Development Studies.
The MA in Development Studies starts every year. The next Call for scholarship applications for the intake 2020 will be open from 18th April to 30th June 2019.
Applicants with an excellent academic record (average upper second or first class grade) will have the opportunity to apply for a DAAD scholarship for their studies (see scholarship section for more information).
An important question from potential students and applicants is always: “What can I get as additional qualification from this MA Program?” The following aspects may give you an idea:
- The teaching methods are designed to be as interactive as possible, emphasizing small group work and using relevant and practical case studies.
- emphasis is placed on independent research
- Since the 1980s close to 1000 students have completed post-graduate degrees with the ISD, many of whom are now in leading positions in the field of development in South Africa.
- Applicants should be from Sub-Sahara Africa
- Applicants should have an outstanding academic record – at least 70% average for your last degree
- The study must have been completed at an internationally recognised university
- The previous degree should have been an academic discipline which is related to Developement Studies
- South African students are required to have an honours degree in order to be admitted to a Masters degree course. Ohter students need the equivalent of a 4 year undergraduate degree.
- Applicants must provide evidence of proficiency in English, both written and spoken. This can be TOEFL test or a similar standard test or a letter from an academic institution
- Work and/or voluntary experience in your field of interest would be a recommendation
- There is no formal age restriction, but applicants should apply within three years of completing their previous degree, unless they have a good reason for having been academically inactive for a period
- Women are encouraged to apply
- South African students are encouraged to apply
- Applicants must be able to study fulltime at the UWC for the required period.
- Candidates for the MA and M Econ in Development Studies as well as PhD candidates can submit their scholarship application without needing to apply for admission at UWC. If they are awarded a scholarship, or if they intend to finance themselves, they may apply for admission through the online application procedure
- a letter of application, motivating your application,
- a copy of your passport
- a CV, also indicating relevant work experience as intern or as employee: Please use the europass CV form available at https://europass.cedefop.europa.eu/en/home
- an academic transcript from your last university,
- certified copies of all academic certificates (in case that the graduation only takes place after the deadline expired, please submit a letter from the respective authorities of your university, certifying that you will graduate until end of 2019).
- an academic reference and if applicable a professional reference. In case that referees want to send the reference independently, they should send it to [email protected], indicating the applicant’s name.
- MA applicants will have to write a one page paper about certain given topics (in the e-form). Below you find the topics of the last Call:
- A certified copy of your identification document
- A certified copy of your matric certificate
- Certificates and transcripts that are in another language other than English or Afrikaans must be submitted together with an English translation thereof that has been certified by a Public Notary
- Any other documentation which may be required for admission to a specific programme
- Tuition and Registration fees are covered by the Scholarship.
- A list of tuition fees is available from the UWC website.
Bir yanıt bırakın